Hello there friends,
Excited to have made it through my very first podcast interview!! I was recently interviewed by LuAnn Nigara (more on LuAnn below) of A Well-Designed Business Podcast. LuAnn’s podcast (you can find it online and on iTunes) is incredibly helpful to anyone running a business in the interior design industry. She has completed more than 150 interviews with top professionals in the industry, and was a speaker on the podcasting panel at the Design Bloggers Conference 2017. I was interviewed and spoke with LuAnn about my win for Best Blog Writing at the conference this year.
Meet LuAnn Nigara
LuAnn Nigara is an award-winning window treatment authority, author, host of one of the most popular podcasts for the design industry, and overall business dynamo.
Based in Livingston, New Jersey, LuAnn got her start in 1982 when she, her husband and cousin purchased a franchise of the Florida-based window treatment company, Window Works. With LuAnn at the helm of sales, they quickly expanded from New Jersey to serving the entire metro area from Philadelphia to Connecticut, and became the leading showroom in gross sales of the more than 120 stores Window Works stores around the country.
Today, Claire talks to LuAnn about:
- How she got to do her internships with Nate Berkus Associates and Kate Marker Interiors.
- The advantages of getting as much work experience as possible.
- The benefits of working for a large and well-run business, in order to gain necessary experience, to run a successful business of your own, later on.
- Where she found the inspiration for her blog.
- How she incorporates Yoga and Meditation into her design work.
- How she’s starting to be recognized by her clients, who know that she really gets them and knows what they want.
- That consistency is really important with blogging.
- Creating blog content that readers want to come back for.
- Her Renovation Series- how it helps her to draw people to her website.
- How collaboration has really worked for her as a marketing vehicle.
- That she really doesn’t try to sell things from her blog, yet it still makes money for her in other ways.
- That you should go to conferences to renew your energy, expand your horizons with blogging and keep you moving forward.
- The great networking opportunities that she found at the conference.
- How the conference has helped her to partner up with other Interior Designers, to enhance their blogs and hers.
- Her Spring Into Home collaboration with other design bloggers.
- You don’t need to spend a lot of money on your blog, however, you do need to spend something, to make it look really good.
- Using the correct etiquette and ethics to credit the source of the photographs that you use on your blog, from the internet.
- An idea to help people to network better with the people that they connect with at conferences.
Did you listen? What tips resonated with you? Do you have others to share when it comes to blogging?
XO – CLAIRE