The Warwick Reno: Blue Bedroom Reveal
The very first room in the new house #thewarwickreno is DONE! I’m so happy to report that it’s the blue bedroom of my dreams (or at least pretty close). Do you remember the design plan and which BLUE I picked? This room will function as our main guest room. I wanted it to feel relaxed, but unique — a place to get a great nights sleep, and also feel like you’re on a bit of a vacation from the ordinary. Lofty goals? Potentially, with this before photo from our real-estate listing (I never got proper before photos in here)!
Please read on BUT don’t miss the giveaway from Paintzen at the end of this post! One lucky winner will receive the same DIY kit that I did to paint a room of their very own. Start brainstorming your dream guest room right now! Will it be a blue bedroom too?
This makeover is a great example of the power of a soothing color, window treatments and an inviting bed. The blue paint is Solitude by Benjamin Moore, the linen drapes are Serena & Lily, and the banded organic cotton bedding is by Boll and Branch. I’ll get to all my sources in a minute, but as we hash out the details let’s review some pointers for making your guest room extra inviting.
- It’s all about the bed! Quality linens, a down duvet and fluffy pillows make any guest feel like a king or queen. I was lucky enough to work with family owned and fair-trade company Boll and Branch on this makeover, and although they are a sponsor, I cannot speak more highly of their products. I went into the partnership a fan, but I am now a total convert. Their banded bedding, shams and navy sheet set are 100% organic cotton and so incredibly cozy (and affordable for high-quality bedding)! Seriously, I never want to change these sheets again.
- Easy access to storage. This is important if your guests are staying more than just the night. It’s ideal to have a dresser with a few empty drawers, or a closet with some space for their belongings so they can settle in, put their clothes away and feel organized in their home away from home. No one likes to live out of their suitcase for long. I loved the modern lines of the vintage dresser and had it refinished by the team at MegMade. After adding leather drawer pulls from Etsy, and my Emily Proud print it looks fabulous in its new home.
- A bedside table and power outlet are ideal. When thinking about the furniture arrangement in your room, don’t forget to check where outlets are located or plan for hidden extension cords. It’s nice to have easy access to an outlet, and night table for your guests. In this old house, outlets are used sparingly : ) so we hid a power strip under the bed for extra plugs for electronics. If you want your guests to feel extra welcome, the bedside table is a great place to leave fresh flowers, your favorite reading material and a bottle of water.
- Add your special touch! A guest room is great place to use travel photos, art you’ve collected that otherwise does not have a place in your home, and even put old frames to good use. This gallery wall was inspired by my notions of vacation and nature. I used some old pieces and mixed in a few new ones too!
- Don’t forget an extra blanket. Being chilly at night is the worst! Make sure to have an extra blanket and pillow on hand since everyone has different preferences on their preferred blanket and pillow amounts. I’m in love with this limited-edition Pumpkin Cable Knit Throw from Boll and Branch, the orange is the perfect pairing for pop of color with this blue. Designer goals = using opposites on the color wheel : )
I hope you’re digging the blue bedroom as much as I am! If you’re ready to jump into your own DIY project, I suggest you grab a friend and comment on the post below as to why you’d love the following DIY Painting Kit from Paintzen. One lucky reader will be chosen at random to receive everything you need to complete your own at-home painting project! *Benjamin Moore paint (in your chosen color), brushes/rollers, tape and everything you need delivered to your front door, valued up to $200. You’ve got to do the painting, so roll up your sleeves and get to creating your transformation!
Big thanks to Boll and Branch – seriously check out this awesome family-owned company for sheets, blankets, towels, baby linens and more!
XO – CLAIRE
Photography by Carolina Mariana Rodriguez
* winner must be located in Paintzen areas including Chicago, New York, San Francisco, Boston and DC
* this post was sponsored by Paintzen and Boll and Branch, but all opinions are completely honest and my own, thanks to the brands that help make this blog possible.