We are lucky to have the Merchandise Mart here in Chicago and the ability to easily visit and partner with incredible vendors. This modern white kitchen, completed by Centered by Design in 2018 (and part of an entire home remodel) was recently featured on the Monogram Appliances blog. I wanted to share the INTERVIEW and also detail a few modern white kitchen design ideas for you, plus show you a few before photos!
Here is a before picture of the kitchen, the floor plan is not terrible but there is certainly room for improvement! Here are some of the design issues we addressed when trying to create a modern white kitchen design:
- The soffit had to stay and so we needed a way to more seamlessly blend it into the cabinetry.
- We wanted to create a built breakfast nook and get rid of the dated desk area.
- The proportions and functionality of the hood and stove top needed improvement. We created a custom white wood hood, wrapped with a stainless band detail and in turn, created a nice centerpiece and focal point for the kitchen.
Other ways we modernized the space from a design perspective include:
- Recessed cabinet doors instead of raised panel
- A stone countertop and backsplash, pale grey with white veining (these are Caesarstone Alpine Mist)
- Updated Monogram appliances
- Modified island to not have seating (it impeded walkway) and with the addition of the built-in banquette (breakfast nook) it was not needed for this family.
- Improved lighting placement and choices
- Addition of crown molding and back band over soffit (also reduced depth of the soffit in areas)