It’s my last post in the High Point Market series! I participated in a wonderful sponsored blogger trip to High Point, North Carolina this April to tour the 2x yearly furnishing show. If you missed those prior posts, you can read my INSIDER TIPS and COLOR TRENDS posts to catch up. In this last post, I thought it would be fun to focus on one item — a cocktail table, also known as a coffee table or ottoman.
As a designer, almost every project requires several coffee tables and in the past I’ve really struggled to find unique options for my clients. I was impressed with the variety of materials, shapes and styles I saw in cocktail tables at market, so I’ve rounded up my best finds to share with you. A good cocktail table (or ottoman) needs to be functional and beautiful! It’s a great piece to make a statement with as it’s often front and center in the floor plan of a room.
Here are a few designer tips on choosing the right coffee table for your space:
- Always measure your sofa seat height and make sure table is not taller than your seat. This can be a challenge with more modern sofas, which tend to have seat heights of 14″ high. A typical seat height is more like 18-20″ high.
- Circular styles tend to work well when you have a sofa with a chaise, ample room between seating or a set of four chairs placed in the round.
- Large ottomans or square cocktail tables (40″ x 40″) or bigger are great for bridging space if you have a larger seating area or a bay window that’s elongating the room/seating area.
- Rectangles and ovals tend to be the most versatile and easy to use!
- Don’t be afraid to make a custom piece, a simple rectangular ottoman is not very expensive to have fabricated by a local upholsterer and yields beautiful results in the perfect size for your layout.